1 supplementary material that is collected and appended at the back of a book
2 a vestigial process that extends from the lower end of the cecum and that resembles a small pouch [syn: vermiform appendix, vermiform process, cecal appendage] [also: appendices (pl)]
- a UK /əˈpɛndɪks/|/ˈæpɛndɪks/; /@"pEndIks/|/"
Appendix, from the Latin word of the same name, may refer to an Index / Bibliography.
- In book design, an appendix is a reference section at the end of a book (see Addendum#Books)
- In anatomy,
a section at the end of an organ; in particular the:
- Vermiform appendix (often referred to as simply the "appendix"), a part of the human digestive system.
- Right auricular appendix, a conical pouch on the right atrium of the heart.
- Left auricular appendix, a conical pouch on the left atrium of the heart.
- Appendix of the epididymis, a detached efferent duct of the epididymis.
- Appendix testis, a vestigial remnant of the Müllerian duct.
- Epiploic appendix, one of several small pouches of fat on the peritoneum along the colon and rectum.
- Fibrous appendix of the liver, a band on the left of the liver.
- Appendix of the laryngeal ventricle, a sac that extends from the laryngeal ventricle.
- Mesoappendix, the portion of the mesentery that connects the ileum to the vermiform appendix.
- In law, an appendix is an addition or addendum to a contract; see Addendum#Contracts
- irregular English plurals — the word "appendix" has irregular plural forms (appendixes vs. appendices)
appendix in German: Appendix
appendix in Spanish: Apéndice
appendix in French: Appendice
appendix in Indonesian: Appendiks
appendix in Italian: Appendice
appendix in Dutch: Appendix
appendix in Russian: Аппендикс (значения)
PS, Parthian shot, abdomen, accessory, addendum, adjunct, affix, afterthought, allonge, anus, appurtenance, back matter, blind gut, bowels, brain, cecum, chorus, coda, codicil, colon, colophon, commentary, conclusion, consequence, continuance, continuation, double take, duodenum, dying words, enclitic, endocardium, entrails, envoi, epilogue, follow-through, follow-up, foregut, giblets, gizzard, guts, heart, hindgut, infix, innards, inner mechanism, insides, interlineation, internals, interpolation, intestine, inwards, jejunum, kidney, kishkes, large intestine, last words, liver, liver and lights, lung, marginalia, midgut, note, parting shot, perineum, peroration, postface, postfix, postlude, postscript, prefix, proclitic, pump, pylorus, rectum, refrain, rider, scholia, second thought, sequel, sequela, sequelae, sequelant, sequent, sequitur, small intestine, spleen, stomach, subscript, suffix, supplement, swan song, tag, tail, ticker, tripes, vermiform appendix, viscera, vitals, works